Every time I see or read a news clip, post or tweet about what’s happening in the Philippines, one of the first thoughts to pop up is, “How are these organizations doing it?” I think about the recent refugee crisis in Syria, and wonder how the world’s relief agencies are going to be able to meet the nutritional needs of all the Filipinos who barely survived. It’s an unfathomable burden that requires “a village” — aka you and me.
Because along with the hundreds of thousands of displaced persons across the globe, we have many, many hungry families here in our own country, who are having equal difficulties obtaining food. Hunger continues to be one of the world’s most pressing issues. It’s hard to make sense of it, or to visualize an end. But in a country where food is practically recreation, it feels unacceptable that so many go without. If you’re not fully aware of what the real story is regarding hunger, particularly in kids, a visit to NoKidHungry.org will open your eyes. My fellow Pennsylvanians can also get a local perspective via Coalition Against Hunger. Skimming this PDF addressing the state of hunger in PA, it’s hard to overlook the big numbers…
I don’t expect all of us to share the same passion for the myriad issues on the world’s plate, but as a No Kid Hungry blogger—and someone whose motto has always been, “I love everything about food, except that too many people don’t have enough,”—it is my duty to get information to you that might inspire action.
No Kid Hungry needs you, and the families who won’t be worrying about the turkey being too dry, the cranberries too runny, the wine not pairing up just right… they need you too. Hopefully, somewhere in these links, you’ll discover a reason to join the conversation. Ready, set, go. You’ve got 14 days to #bethechange, and now you also have 14 Ways:
1. Learn about The Problem
2. Watch and share the Story of Hungry video with your friends and family — #changethestory
3. Arouse your emotions: Read this year’s Go Orange for No Kid Hungry winning essay
5. If you’re a business owner, find out if your company meets the criteria to join Share our Strength’s Cause Marketing Partner Program
6. Join the Hunger Core, No Kid Hungry’s Monthly Giving Club
7. Inspire giving by reading and sharing No Kid Hungry success stories
10. Watch “A Place at the Table”, a documentary about the state of hunger in the US., featuring Billy Shore and Jeff Bridges
13. Save the Date for NKH’s Holiday Give-a-Thon, December 3 (in conjunction with #givingtuesday)